Wednesday, March 02, 2005

KU wins!

KU beat K-State tonight in the last game for the four seniors in Allen Fieldhouse. Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Fieldhouse so celebrations were definitely in order. The basketball players wore retro jerseys. The cheerleaders and crimson girls wore 1950's-era outfits. And the best part, the cute J-hawk mascots had tuxedos on!! They were so adorable!! Mike Lee, Keith Langford, Aaron Miles and Wayne Simien all gave very thoughtful, emotionally stirring, tearful goodbye speeches. When I was a kid going to basketball games at SMS, I always thought these speeches were so important. So touching. As I've grown older (and admittedly much more cynical) I sometimes groan when I listen to these speeches. They're made by 22-year-old kids who, as athletes, often overemphasize their importance in society. Just because you can shoot a ball doesn't mean you can walk on water. As we get older, moments like these are special, but they pale in comparison to bigger worries. When I was a senior in high school, I practiced my speech for the big banquet at the end of the year for days. It went over well...my friends and the parents clapped and laughed at my clever jokes (or at least I thought they were sooooo clever at the time...they probably weren't...) And then life went on... I've done plenty of exciting and cool things since then, but nothing seems as important to me now as they did when I was younger. Maybe I've lost my fire, my drive. I don't know. But I really enjoyed the speeches by Mike, Keith, Aaron and Wayne tonight. They were full of some ego-driven moments, but overall those guys have a good sense of what's important. I appreciate that.

No comments: