Monday, June 16, 2008

Is Google Making Us Stoopid?

Atlantic Magazine poses an interesting question this issue. Is Google making us stupid?
I've often thought how different my life would be if I didn't have the internet close at hand. I use it to read the news, communicate, check my bank account, shop, find phone numbers, restaurant reviews, etc., etc. I don't really feel the need to remember anything because I can just quickly look up anything I need.

Ironically, the internet went down in my office this morning. I couldn't do anything! I had to call a money management firm and couldn't find its number. I didn't even know where to look -- we don't have phone books anymore! Basically, I sat around and waited for the internet to come back up. The Atlantic article argues (in part) that the internet has made it much more difficult for us to focus for long periods of time on a singular text. We want to jump around all the time. The Wikipedia of the brain, so to say. I definitely find myself having difficulty focusing on a long article (such as the Google article.) This isn't too far off what Neil Postman argued in Amusing Oursevles to Death.

No comments: